CELEBRATING YOUTH, CULTURE & COMMUNITY
Morgan Bowles to Serve as St. Lucia on December 8th
The legend of Saint Lucia tells the story of a young girl, clad in a white gown with a red
sash, her head surrounded by a halo of light, who appeared to bring hope, warmth and
food to those in need during a time of famine in Sweden. With the coming of
Christianity to Sweden around 1200, it’s thought that missionaries shared the story of
Lucia bringing food and drink to the poor. The Lindsborg St. Lucia Festival is a beautiful and important celebration during the holiday season. Lindsborg’s traditional festival will be celebrated on Saturday, December 8th , a few days before the true St. Lucia Day, celebrated in Sweden on December 13th . The Lindsborg Swedish Folk Dancers host the festival event by providing St. Lucia crafts and storytelling, Swedish folk dancing, holiday music, a bake sale with proceeds being donated to TACOL, and St. Lucia programs and receptions. This year’s St. Lucia is Smoky Valley High School senior Morgan Bowles. Miss Bowles along with her attendants and Star Boys will participate in a traditional candle-lit St. Lucia service at 3:00 p.m. at Bethany Lutheran Church with a reception to follow.
- 10:00am – 1:00pm – Lindsborg Community Library – Star Boy & St. Lucia Crafts with Jan Brett story time.
- 10:00am – 2:00pm – “Trollslanda – Toy Store” – LSFD Bakes Sale – Proceeds to benefit TACOL
- 10:00am – 12:20pm – “Connected – Fair Trade Store” – Instrumental Holiday Music
- 10:15am – 10:45am Downtown Lindsborg (Lincoln & Main) – Swedish folk dancing with Lindsborg Swedish Folk Dancers and special guests, Soderstrom 4th Graders, St. Lucia & Star Boy
- 10:45am – 11:00am – Downtown Lindsborg (Lincoln & Main) – St. Lucia Processional from Downtown Lindsborg to Bethany Lutheran Church
- 11:30am – Bethany Lutheran Church – Soderstrom 4th Grade St. Lucia Program & Reception
- 1:15-2:30pm – Bethany Lutheran Church – Swedish folk dancing with Folkdanslog & Lindsborg Swedish Folk Dancers
- 2:30pm – Bethany Lutheran Church – SVHS Brass Ensemble Prelude Music
- 3:00pm – Bethany Lutheran Church – Lindsborg Swedish Folk Dancers, St. Lucia Program & Reception
- 5:00-8:30pm – Old Mill Museum – Old Fashion Christmas Mill tours, music and drama, children’s crafts and shepherd’s story
The 2018-2019 Lindsborg Swedish Folk Dancers!
The holidays are coming up! Let the Lindsborg Swedish Folk Dancers help with your holiday baking!
We welcome your tax-deductible contributions!